Tuesday, September 13, 2016

That’s Strange In India - Your Great American Dream Via Chilkur Balaji

When I was a child, I was amazed to see my mother celebrating the news of her nephew getting a US visa like she had just won the lottery! As I grew up, I read many articles on visa restrictions making headlines in the news dailies. Since then, I always considered travelling to the US, a big thing. Most of you would agree with me, right? But these days, visa-seekers have found a unique way to get close to the much-anticipated US ticket. No, I’m not talking about any specific airline or a guidebook that will help you clear the visa interview but an unusual temple that guarantees a US visa. Now, isn’t that strange?
After introducing you to the land that takes you to heaven, this time, let me familiarise you with the temple that takes you to the US.

chilkur balaji
Chilkur Balaji Temple, Hyderabad | Photo Credit: Adityamadhav83/wikipedia



Temple Run
Be it engineers, doctors or all those prospective students and professionals who nurture the great American dream, this is your ultimate destination. Welcome to the Chilkur Balaji Temple. Built on the banks of Osman Sagar Lake near hyderabad, this temple is a 17-kilometer drive from the quaint town of Mehedipatnam in Andhra Pradesh. Believed to have the miraculous power of granting visas (especially the American visa), they say that if a devotee visits the temple before appearing for his or her visa interview, chances of getting the visa are brighter.
The American Dream
On my latest expedition to discover what’s strange in India, I pondered over the fact that how can a temple help you in getting a visa? Isn’t that odd? However, when I reached there, I saw a substantial number of people (or should I say visa seekers) crowding around the temple, waiting to please the lord. While I roamed around the temple and performed holy rituals, I realised that it is customary for a visa seeker to do 11 circumambulations (also known as Pradakshina) of the inner shrine and ask for that one wish (visa, it is!). So, why 11? One of the regular devotees explained to me that the number 11 represents the secret of creation, i.e. 1 soul and 1 body which unite together with utmost devotion to fulfill your wish. But hang on! It’s not over yet. Once your wish comes true, you need to come back to the temple to complete your vow, which includes walking 108 times around the epic sanctum. Nothing worthwhile ever comes easy in life, does it? But then, who’s complaining when your American dream is fulfilled, right.

chilkur balaji
Devotees queue up for blessings

I also noticed a rare temple guideline written on boards all through the sacred premises- do not close your eyes during the darshan. Till date, I can’t think of any religious place that I’ve ever been to where you are asked to pray keeping your eyes open. I would not be truthful if I didn’t say that it was a little discomforting for me to pray with open eyes.
The Legend Of Chilkur Balaji Temple
But the curious ‘I’ wanted to know more. While I understand that it is faith that draws so many people to the temple but to know the mystery behind this unique temple was next on my to-do list. One of the locals I bumped in to had an interesting tale to share.
Legend has it that years ago, an ardent devotee who visited Tirupati every year could not travel on one occasion due to ill health. One night, Lord Venkateshwara himself appeared in his dream and asked him to come to the nearby jungle to meet him. The ardent devotee immediately reached the specified location and saw a molehill. As he started digging the molehill, his axe struck Lord Balaji's idol below the chin and on the chest, which was buried beneath the molehill. To his dismay, blood oozed out turning the ground red, which scared him. Suddenly, he heard a voice asking him to fill the molehill with the cow’s milk. He dutifully did that and that is when a Swayambhu idol of Lord Balaji accompanied by Sridevi and Bhoodevi emerged (which is a rare combination). It was this idol that was installed with religious rites and a temple was built by the devotee. Even today, you will find the same idol of Sri Balaji Venkateshwara mounted inside the temple.
The Hope
So, all those who have been yearning to get their passports stamped by the US embassy, fret no more! Simply board a flight to Hyderabad and make a wish to the revered deity of the Chilkur Balaji Temple. Who knows, you may actually make it to the dream land!
After getting acquainted with the incredible power of the visa temple, now, let’s move to the temple of… more, in the next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment